Sunday, March 22, 2009

The first 8 hours


As you may or may not know, any cake takes hours of work to prepare and build-- add sugar flowers and you can easily double or triple your time. I'm getting ready for the Central Florida Fair Confectionary Arts Competition... The cake (dummy cake) will be dropped off for the show on April 12 and I started working on it this week. I sketched about 6 different designs and finally settled on the last one I drew. My first four-tier cake! I'm entering the wedding cake category, so this will be my first wedding cake too.

In order to take my time and really have an opportunity to do the best work I've done yet-- I've gotten started early. Here's a sneak peak at my first 8 hours worth of flowers. Eventually I'll have many more flowers and they'll be dusted and wired together and all that technical stuff. Crysanthamums and yellow roses.

More to come!