Monday, July 21, 2008

Cake Convention - Some reflections

I always wondered what really went on at Trekkie conventions, or ComicCon, or any of those things. What happens when you put a bunch of people obsessed with the same thing in one place, I thought?

Then I became one of "them." I am now the girl who goes to cake convention. The International Cake Exploration Society holds this conference every year in a different city, and this year it was Orlando, so considering my new hobby, and the money and time I've already invested, I was encouraged to go. So I went.

I learned a lot of great tips, and saw some really cool things. There is something to be said for SEEING something done vs. READING about something being done.

I saw lots of familiar faces. People I know, that don't know me. I'm a Food Network junkie and of course I was thrilled to walk in on Friday and find many of the "CAKE CHALLENGE" types wandering around and/or selling things or teaching. Mike McCarey, Bronwen Webber, Kerrie Vincent, Norman Davis, and quite a few others. I sat next to the woman who put the head on backwards on the recent Soccer Bday Cake Challenge!